This is my 4 facts about the Treaty of Waitangi. Enjoy.
- When did Maori first arrive in Aotearoa, New Zealand?
- a) Between 1150 & 1200AD
- b) Between 1250 & 1350AD
- c) Between 1250 & 1300AD
- d) Last Year
- In the 1790’s Pakeha arrived in NZ to do what?
- a) Hunt Moa b) Start families
- c) Hunt whale & seals d) Escape prison sentences
- What was the name of the British official sent to secure British rule over NZ?
- a) William Johnson b) Abel Tasman
- c) William Hobson d) Captain James Cook
- There were two things that Maori chiefs Hone Heke Pokai and Tamati Waka Nene thought signing the treaty would help accomplish. What were they?
→ They thought signing the Treaty would be good for their people because the British would be protecting them from other tribes from attacking them.
→The other reason they thought the Treaty was good was to make it fair with Maori and Pakeha.
- True or False: Te Tiriti o Waitangi and the Treaty of Waitangi are the exact same.
- a) True b) False
- The Waitangi Tribunal was set up in 1975. Describe the job the Waitangi Tribunal have?
→ In 1975 the Waitangi Tribunal protested against the British because of the promise they made to the Maori.